Center for European Studies | College of Liberal Arts
skip to content The University of Texas at Austin

Undergraduate Program

For degree plans, please see the College of Liberal Arts Degree Plans web page.

European Studies Major

The Center for European Studies offers a major in the study of Western and Central Europe. The EUS major consists of 30 total hours, including 24 hours of upper division and 18 hours in residence. Students must choose one of three areas of focus (tracks):

  1. Pre-1700 Europe
  2. Post-1700 Europe
  3. European Thought

European Studies majors must complete the following as part of the major:

  • Six hours of upper-division coursework in a single foreign language
  • A Capstone Thesis Course
  • An approved study abroad program (financial aid availbale) or internship in a western or central European country**

For more detailed information about the EUS undergraduate degree, please view a European Studies degree plan: College Of Liberal Arts Degree Plans**

You can search for courses online in the Liberal Arts Course Descriptions database, or in the UT Austin Course Schedule. For more information, or to declare this major, please contact the European Studies Academic Advisor.

*Consult with your academic advisor if you are unsure of your academic catalog year.
**A comprehensive list of study abroad programs is available at UT's Study Abroad website. Once a student decides on a particular program or internship, the CES Director will have final approval as to its acceptance for the major.

Required Minor for European Studies Majors

For students under the 2010-2012, 2012-2014, or 2014-2016 academic catalogs:
Twelve semester hours, including at least six hours of upper-division coursework, in any one field of study in the University.

For students starting in Fall 2016 under the 2016-2018 academic catalog:
Completion of 15-21 hours of prescribed coursework in a different field of study than the major is required. A complete list of approved minors, requirements, and instructions on how to declare can be found online. Some minors are restricted and may require an application. A transcript-recognized certificate may also satisfy this requirement.

Academic Advising: