French Departmental Honors Program
Majors who plan to seek special honors may apply to the French Faculty Advisor for admission to the honors program during the semester in which they will complete sixty semester hours of coursework. To enter the program, a student must have completed at least sixty semester hours of coursework, including twelve hours of upper-division coursework in French. These twelve hours must include one course numbered 330 or above. A University grade point average of at least 3.00 and a grade point average in French of at least 3.50 are also required for admission.
The requirements for graduation with special honors are:
- Completion of FR 379H, Honors Tutorial Course, with a grade of at least B
- Completion of the French Major, which includes 24 upper-division hours of French (FR)
- Satisfactory performance on an honors examination
- A University grade point average of at least 3.00 and a grade point average of at least 3.50 in the coursework required for the major and for honors
- Completion in residence at the University of at least sixty semester hours of coursework counted toward the degree.
Pi Delta Phi National French Honors Society
The Department is a member of the Pi Delta Phi National French Honor Society. The society was formed to acknowledge superior scholastic performance in the field of French language, literature, and culture. It encourages a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of French culture, art, and history.
Students majoring in French or with a French concentration, who distinguish themselves for their outstanding performance in French are eligible for induction into the honor society at the end of their undergraduate career. The chapter advisor at the University of Texas is Beatriz Schleppe.
French Faculty Advisor: